Mental Health Resources
- VCU University Counseling Services After-Hours Line: 804-828-1234 (to page the counselor-on-call through the VCU Police)
- 24/7 National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255 (En Espanol: 1-888-628-9454)
- 24/7 Crisis Text Line: Text "START" to 741-741
VCU Resources & Services
UCS offers free individual, group, and couple's therapy services to VCU students. Two locations are available on the Monroe Park and VCU Medical Center campuses.
- To schedule an appointment, students must present in person to either location.
- Crisis walk-in appointments are available Mon-Fri, 8am-4:30pm.
- For after-hours emergencies, students can call the VCU Police at 828-1234 and ask to speak to the counselor-on-call.
UCS also offers an extensive variety of self-help resources. Click on the link for more info. Two popular self-help modules created by UCS include Stress Management and Coping with Overwhelming Feelings.
The Well offers a wide range of services and resources for students, including info on mindfulness, stress reduction, nutrition, sleep, substance use, recovery support, relationships, sexuality, support for victims of assault, and more.
- Go to the bottom of the Well's homepage to see what's happening on their calendar of events.
- The Well offers a variety of regular weekly events, such as Mindful Monday at the Well, where anyone can drop in for meditation sessions every Monday at noon in the Recovery Clubhouse.
- Special student events are also offered every month. Click on the link for the Well's Fall 2017 schedule.
- Like Ted Talks and YouTubes? The Well offers some great links on their mindfulness and stress management websites. More links are available on the Student Health Self-Help Resources page.
- Looking for more ways to be mindful and destress? Check out the Well's extensive list of local and online mindfulness resources.
CPSD offers individual and group counseling services to the Richmond community on a sliding fee scale. No referral is needed. To apply for services, clients can submit applications online, by fax, by mail, or in person. Group therapy options include:
- Anxiety Group: This group therapy program targets social anxiety, panic attacks, worry, obsessions and compulsions, phobias, post-traumatic stress, and other anxiety-related concerns. Group leaders provide education about anxiety and teach specific coping skills.
- Sessions meet Mondays from 6:00pm to 7:30pm, September 19 to December 5, 2016.
- Fees range from $5-10 per session.
- Application deadline is September 12th. Call 804-828-1183 with questions.
- Process Group: These are unthemed group therapy sessions open to any problem type. Enrollment is ongoing as long as seats are open. Fees range from $5-10 per session.
Some students with mental health conditions (such as Attention Deficit Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Depression, etc.) may qualify for services and academic accommodations through SAEO. Health Sciences students should contact the Division for Academic Success for assistance.
Student Health Brochures