RamPantry @ VCU
RamPantry offers nutritious food options to any VCU student, faculty, or staff member in need.
Free Nutrition Consults
Student Health has a registered dietitian nutritionist on staff who offers free in-depth nutrition consultations for VCU students.
Exercise Secrets for Weight Loss
Secret #1: Both aerobic exercise and resistance training (weight lifting) are important components of a healthy lifestyle. However, resistance training is much more effective when it comes to weight loss:
- 10 minutes of resistance training 2 days/week is equal to 30 minutes of cardio 5 days/week in the number of calories burned!
- So if time is an issue, aim for at least 10 minutes of resistance training twice a week (and add in heart-healthy aerobic exercise as often as you can):
- Check out the amenities at VCU Rec Sports or try this strength training program for your home, which also offers good basic weight training info for beginners.
- Do 10 exercises that target the major muscle groups for 1 minute each.
- Alternate upper and lower body exercises. Lower body resistance training is more important because of the higher muscle mass in your legs.
- Work large muscle groups first, then small muscle groups.
- Work your way up to 3 sets of 8 reps at 80% of maximum weight (this is the weight that can be lifted in a single repetition) for a given exercise.
Secret #2: Increasing daily non-exercise activity has more impact on weight loss than doing 30 minutes of aerobic exercise every day!
- Walking more is a simple way to increase lower body resistance training and burn more calories. You burn 150 calories/hour just by walking across campus. So skip the car ride, the elevator, and that parking space right by the entrance. Just walk!
Student Health Brochures