VCU students who have started an allergy desensitization program (allergy shots) with an allergist can have their injections administered at Student Health. There is a $15 fee for each allergy injection visit.
- Students who are new starts to allergy desensitization must receive at least three (3) documented doses of serum at their allergist's office.
- Students in the build-up phase of desensitization must receive the first dose out of subsequent new vials at their allergist's office.
Scheduling An Appointment
At the beginning of every semester, all students (new and established) must schedule an RN Allergy Intake Appointment with the nurse to bring in their serum, review allergy injection policies, and to complete paperwork. This service is done by appointment only, so please plan accordingly.
Students can then schedule nurse appointments to receive injections AND be prepared to stay 30 minutes after the injection to be monitored for adverse reactions.
What To Bring To Your Appointment
Students must bring their allergy serum and detailed dosing & storage instructions from their allergist:
- Students are responsible for bringing their own vials of allergy serum to Student Health. DO NOT have the allergist's office mail serum to Student Health; serum that is received and has not been refrigerated will be discarded at the patient's expense.
- Detailed instructions need to include:
- Dosing for build-up, maintenance, late/missed injections, and restart schedules.
- Storage information and viability of allergy serum in the event of a power outage.